Aug 20, 2013

MAKE YOUR MARK - INTERVIEW WITH SYLVIA RILEY




Sylvia Riley is a textile/Designer and Artist. Sylvia has spent the last ten years traveling throughout the world learning about different textiles skills while working as a designer on a custom order basis.  In September of last year she was part of an international catwalk show in Malaysia and this year she have released her own range of dresses, homewares and fabrics. Sylvia was so kind as to take some time out of her busy schedule to share her advice and tips on running your own business.


What  ignited the idea to create your own line of textiles and bring Sylvia Riley designs to life?

I have been a practicing textile art and designer for the past ten years. During that time, I have been working on private textile commissions and travelling the globe seeking out new textile mediums and honing my skills.

In September, of last year, I showcased a collection of clothing I'd been working on in an international catwalk show at iSend weft in Malaysia. The response was fantastic, so I decided to release the collection to the public. Also, I carefully selected a collection of homewares and fabric to sit BEside itI am still continuing to work on private commissions.



What has been the most rewarding aspect since starting up your own business  “Sylvia Riley Designs” and watching it grow?

Seeing people's response to my designs and also all the exciting new project's that have come my way since. Watch this space!


In your opinion what are the absolute 5  "Must Do's" you would like to share to women wanting to start their own business?

1. Follow your instinct.  It is always right.
2. Don't give up.  Growing a successfully business takes time.
3. Surround yourself with positive people who believe in you
4. Constantly Re-Evaluate your goals
5. Don't be afraid to take a few risks now and then.

What are the things that inspire you, and where did your source your inspiration from?

Colour and nature are my largest inspirations. I'm always drawn to the irregular.  I like things others might see as imperfect or clashing


Have there been any challenges since starting up your business and what advice would you give to others on how  to deal with them?

Letting go of the idea I can control everything.


If you could pin 5 images on your “vision board” what would they be and why?

Some fabulous images of nature around the world bursting with colour!! Nature is the best inspiration there is.



"Sylvia's creations simply divine..dont you think? To Shibori is on my list of " Things to learn" I absolutely love the idea of creating something with my bare hands where the results are sometimes left to chance...on how it turns out.

If you would like to view more of Sylvia's remarkable work and be kept upto date on her latest creations be sure to visit her blog Sylvia Riley Designs!



Images: Courtesy of Sylvia Riley

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for viewing my blog...I enjoy reading your comments and hope you come back and visit again soon :)