Mar 20, 2011

BAKING AT THE WHITE HOUSE - Cherry Cake

A little baking went on the other day in the White household....this one is always a favourite with my boys and one that I don't make often enough.
The best part about this cake...other than it being super delicious...is that it is super easy to make...anyone can try it!

Thought I would share the recipe : )

Cherry Cake

Ingredients:
  • 3/4 cup self-raising flour
  • 1/2 cup plain flour
  • 1/2 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
  • 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
  • 1/2 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
  • 1/2 cup oil ( a light oil tastes better)
  • 2 eggs, lightly beaten
  • 1/2 cup sour cream
  •  410g can/jar of pitted cherries drained (or frozen mixed berries if you prefer)
  •  Icing Sugar
Instructions:
  1. Grease a 20cm ring pan, line base with grease proof paper ( baking paper)
  2. Sift flours, soda and spices into bowl, stir in sugar.
  3. Stir in combined oil, eggs , sour cream and cherries.
  4. Pour mixture into prepared pan
  5. bake moderately slow oven for about 40min
  6. Stand cake for 5 minutes on wire rack to cool 
  7. Dust lightly with sifted icing sugar.
When serving I like to add a dollop of vanilla ice cream or fresh cream 
with it..Yum!

And Voila! 

sorry for the poor quality pics..but I promise you its super delicious!


images: own

10 comments:

  1. Sounds and looks delicious...yum! Lucky boys!
    Have a great week :))
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Yum Anna, I love homeade deserts!! This looks delish!

    xoxo
    Karena
    Art by Karena

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yumm, ill be trying this post haste. Megan xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. When I read the title I was thinking about cooking for the president! This looks and sounds very yummy. About time I baked something :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I did baking on the weekend too. It's my new favourite thing to do. My boys love all the things I make (prob because they all contain sugar!!).

    My latest cookup was rasberry & white choc muffins. Hmmm .. they tasted SO yum.

    Might have to try your recipe next (-:

    ReplyDelete
  6. This sounds spicily delicious ~ I bet it is the kind of cake that makes the whole house smell fragrant when it is baking!

    I'm with Linda ~ baking is hugely fun, and everything tastes so much better than bought stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  7. looks gorgeous anna- there is nothing like a little baking as the seasons change is there!

    loved your last post on *random loveliness*- do you sometimes find you love so many different styles that really you'd like a few houses to decorate!!
    i seem to constantly have this problem!!

    happy monday...melissa xx

    p.s- just a little thought- if you have posted that gorgeous pickie you created- we've not rec it yet...i just don't want you to think i'm a teriibly ungrateful friend....and we'll want to post you something very english and lovely back! xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mmmmmm, yum I can see why your men love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds wonderful!! And looks delicious!! xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anna we are all out of dessert options tonight - I probably shouldn't have read this post...salivating on the keyboard :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for viewing my blog...I enjoy reading your comments and hope you come back and visit again soon :)