Jun 6, 2010

HOME TOUR - Stylist Lili Diallo's bohemian New York loft

Owner - Lili Diallo (stylist)

Property type - Late 1800s loft apartment (a former thread factory)
Space Open-plan dining/living room, office, main bedroom, guest bedroom, shower room with toilet, kitchen, two spare/storage rooms
Location Brooklyn, New York
   
You could be forgiven for assuming an NYC loft apartment belonging to a top stylist would be too aspirational for us lesser home-making mortals.
But Lili Diallo's Brooklyn pad is refreshingly uncontrived and homely.
The brave mix of bold flair alongside quirky shabby chic suggests a distinct personality. 'It's taken four years to get it how I want it,' admits Lili, who originally hails from Paris. 'I wasn't used to such a big space. You have to be patient and experiment. That's why people hire designers!'

Lili has lived in New York for 11 years and moved to her current apartment in Dumbo (Down Under the Manhattan Bridge Overpass) five years ago. Why NYC in the first place? 'I came here on vacation, and met my now ex-husband,' she explains. 'This loft seemed ideal. My work means I'm always running around Manhattan, but I didn't want to live in the heart of it – it's too touristy. I can see it from my window, so I'm close enough!' Lili also enjoys a prime view of the river as it joins the ocean, and the famed Manhattan skyline. 'The area is neighbourly, real and relaxed,' she says. 'Brooklyn in general has more of a European, bohemian feel.'

So what style is she drawn to? 'I'm not totally into modern or classic,' she says, although she admits to loving white furniture and white lacquer in particular. 'It's clean and reflective,' she says. 'I'm also keen on the Swedish Gustavian style – sensuous lines in greys and blues. But there are things I like from every period.'

 
images from: Living Etc uk

9 comments:

  1. Love it ~ such a fun space. xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful..looks like home!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Anna, I always love the pictures you find! Fantastic post, Thank you. XX

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anna,

    What a wonderful idea--the home tour. Missed reading your blog while I was away! It's good to be back. XXX C

    ReplyDelete
  5. I remember this domino issue, love.

    ReplyDelete
  6. love her place. i also loved her work in domino and wondered where she was these days...thanks for this update!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks like a really lovely home - I like how it's been decorated.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for viewing my blog...I enjoy reading your comments and hope you come back and visit again soon :)